2015 Francis Marion Memorial
Swamp Fox Assault XXXV –
Saturday, July 25th
Report & Scores
Course Description and Equipment Requirements:
- The match will be held Saturday, July 25th . It will
be a “shotgun heavy” three gun event, including one stage
with rifle, pistol and shotgun, one stage with pistol and
shotgun, and two stages with shotgun only.
- This year’s two “dry-land” stages can be shot as a
“stand-alone” side match. Be prepared to carry and shoot a
minimum of 20 shot loads, and 20 slugs, 20 rifle shots (at
least two magazines) and 24 pistol shots (at least two
magazines), just for these stages.
- Shooters for the “full-match” will be squadded. We
will do our best to accommodate squadding requests (see
registration form). Check-in / Registration / Squadding
starts at 10:30 am, ends at 11:30 am. Shooters meeting at
11:45. Shooting starts at 12:00. Registration may be limited
to the first 30 shooters.
- There will be no lunch provided as part of the
match. Bring food and beverages to be consumed on the
course, if you like.
- The 35th Anniversary
Dinner will be held AFTER the
match this year, Saturday evening around 6-ish (after
clean-up). See details.
- Costs: See registration
Feel free to contact us with questions at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Except where noted below, all standard ALGC
T R & S rules apply. It is the shooter’s responsibility to
be familiar with them:
- Your division will be based on your shotgun. Any
rifle or pistol legal for ALGC T R & S may be used.
- There will be a minimum of 65 steel targets and 25
slug targets for shotgun. Be prepared to shoot slugs out to
100 yards. Bring extra ammo. Shotgun ammo requirements are
per ALGC T R & S rules.
- No steel shot or 7 ½, 8s or 9s allowed. BE ADVISED:
Lighter loads don’t take the poppers down as well as heavy
loads and require more precise shooting, and often tighter
chokes. If your ammo of choice fails to take down the
targets, no whining is allowed!
- There will be at least 20 rounds of rifle (need at
least two magazines) and at least 24 rounds of pistol (need
at least two magazines). These will all be on the “dry land”
- Standard ammo carrier rules apply. Be prepared to
have to load your gun quickly from NON-standard ammo
carriers, which will be supplied to you. Be prepared to
carry as much as 35 rounds of shotgun ammo on your person,
at one time.
- Slings must be attached to your weapon on ALL
- As always, wear clothing and shoes appropriate to
the swamp venue. Hearing and eye protection are required at
all times, no exceptions.
- The Swamp Death Penalty will be in effect for this
match (details to be explained at the shooter’s meeting.)
Please print out and mail
the attached form to:
7519 Newport Ave
Parma, OH 44129
Registration forms and checks must be received by July 10th if you would like a t-shirt, July 23th if you are just shooting. Walk-ins are OK for the side-match, subject to how busy we are.
Tips for New Shooters:
- Most of your reloads will be required to be what
we call a “Ready-Position Reload”. The exception to this
rule, are transition loads from buckshot to slugs, or vice
versa, since that can be complicated. Here is a youtube
video of ALGC’s very own celebrity spokesmodel, Roy
Mitchell, demonstrating both correct and incorrect ways to
perform this reload:
- The trick to making it through the swamp, is to
keep mud out of the action of your gun. The most common way
people introduce mud to their guns, is by directly getting
their ammo mudding, or by getting mud on their hands, then
onto their ammo, and then into their action. Ways to avoid
- Always be conscious of how clean your “loading
hand” is. If it is covered with mud, take the time to wipe
it off. It is time well spent.
- Have multiple ammo locations on your person and
weapon. Cautious shooters make sure one of them is
“protected”, like in a pouch with a flap, or a very deep
pocket. That is your back-up ammo. For example, a well
prepared swamp shooter has ammo:
- In a side-saddle
- In a cross-chest bandolier
- n a belt carrier or belt bandolier
- In protected belt pouch or pocket with closed
Report & Scores