2014 Francis Marion MemorialIt is with great pride and enthusiasm that we will be running the 34th Anniversary Match this summer.
Swamp Fox Assault XXXIV
Course Description and Equipment Requirements:
- The match will be held Saturday, July 26th
- This year’s two “dry-land” stages can be shot as a
“stand-alone” side match. Be prepared to carry and shoot a
minimum of 20 shot loads, and 20 slugs, just for these
stages. This is a chance for some of our more “distinguished
alumni” to take part in the fun.
- Shooters for the “full-match” will be squadded. We
will do our best to accommodate squadding requests (see
registration form). Check-in / Registration / Squadding
starts at 10:30 am, ends at 11:30 am. Shooters meeting at
11:45. Shooting starts at 12:00. Registration may be limited
to the first 30 shooters.
- There will be no lunch provided as part of the
match. Bring food and beverages to be consumed on the
course, if you like.
- The 34th Anniversary Dinner will be held AFTER the
match this year, Saturday evening around 6-ish (after
clean-up). Details to follow in a separate notice.
- Full Match: $30 (+ $5 for non-members)
- Dry-land stages only, side match: $12 (+ $3 for
- $10 Clean-up deposit (re-funded if you stay to
help clean up, applies only to “full match” shooters)
- Match T-shirt: $13
Feel free to contact us with questions at: email@example.com
- All standard ALGC T R & S rules apply
- There will be four shotgun divisions this year:
- Stock (AKA: Stock Riot Gun):
- Tactical Enhanced Shotgun
- Heavy Gun (AKA: Swamp Fox Shotgun)
- There will be a minimum of 65 steel targets and 25
slug targets. Be prepared to shoot slugs out to 100 yards.
Bring extra ammo.
- Minimum power factor for “Heavy Gun” is
640,000 (for example, “standard” 9 pellet buckshot is
643,000 power factor, most 1 ¼ ounce, 3 ¼ dram loads
exceed this. Standard slugs only).
- Minimum power factor for Stock or Tactical
classes is 545,000 (for example, “tactical” 9 pellet
buckshot is 546,000 power factor, most 1 ounce “game
loads” exceed this. “Tactical” or “low-recoil” slugs
- No steel shot or 7 ½, 8s or 9s allowed. BE
ADVISED: Lighter loads don’t take the poppers down as
well as heavy loads and require more precise shooting,
and often tighter chokes. If your ammo of choice fails to
take down the targets, no whining is allowed!
- Standard ammo carrier rules apply. Be prepared to
have to load your gun quickly from NON-standard ammo
carriers, which will be supplied to you. Be prepared to
carry as much as 35 rounds of ammo on your person, at one
- Slings must be attached to your weapon on ALL
- As always, wear clothing and shoes appropriate to
the swamp venue. Hearing and eye protection are required at
all times, no exceptions.
Please print out and mail the attached form to:
7519 Newport Ave
Parma, OH 44129
Registration forms and checks must be received by July 11th if you would like a t-shirt, July 24th if you are just shooting. Walk-ins are OK for the side-match, subject to how busy we are.
Tips for New Shooters:
- Most of your reloads will be required to be what
we call a “Ready-Position Reload”. The exception to this
rule, are transition loads from buckshot to slugs, or vice
versa, since that can be complicated. Here is a youtube
video of ALGC’s very own celebrity spokesmodel, Roy
Mitchell, demonstrating both correct and incorrect ways to
perform this reload:
- The trick to making it through the swamp, is to
keep mud out of the action of your gun. The most common way
people introduce mud to their guns, is by directly getting
their ammo mudding, or by getting mud on their hands, then
onto their ammo, and then into their action. Ways to avoid
- Always be conscious of how clean your
“loading hand” is. If it is covered with mud, take the
time to wipe it off. It is time well spent.
- Have multiple ammo locations on your person
and weapon. Cautious shooters make sure one of them is
“protected”, like in a pouch with a flap, or a very deep
pocket. That is your back-up ammo. For example, a well
prepared swamp shooter has ammo:
- In a side-saddle
- In a cross-chest bandolier
- In a belt carrier or belt bandolier
- In protected belt pouch or pocket with